I got two 250g reels of polyester dual coat enamel round winding wire from Brocott.co.uk. I used 43AWG on the Neck pickup and 42AWG on the bridge. This stuff is really thin!!
Fibre flat-work, copper base plate and ALNICO magnets for the bridge pickup. I got these bits from Stewmac athttp://www.stewmac.com/
I used a hammer (wrapped in an old t-shirt) to press the magnets into the flat-work which made it quite difficult to get them all parallel and of equal lengths.
Here’s the assembled neck and bridge pickup bobbin
I read that the most common cause of fault on the old Telecaster pickups was windings shorting out on the magnet pole pieces. I painted the magnets with nail varnish to prevent any possible shorts.
I threaded a good few loops of wire through the eyelet on the flatwork and started winding… and winding…and winding
My plan was to hand wind but after 4000 winds i couldn’t help getting the drill out. I used a tab of double sided tape to stick the bobbin to the drill.
This wire (especially the 43AWG) is seriously delicate. If you snap the wire its ok to just neatly twist the two ends and solder them back together.
I aimed to fill the bobbins as much as i could and then take wire off to get the desired winding resistance. I wound to these DC resistances: Neck: 6.93K Bridge: 7.4K In general, the more windings, the higher the output but compromising the higher end. This is probably why the bridge is usually of higher resistance than the neck – to roll off some of the high end.
Bridge and Neck pickups done and wires soldered – pre potting
I decided to pot the pickups in wax – weather or not this makes a difference, i think is debatable but i thought it wouldn’t hurt. I used a normal candle and melted it on the hob.
When the wax was completely melted i let it cool slightly before submerging the whole of the pickups until all the air from them escaped – about 15 minutes.
Two freshly made pickups waiting to be fitted. They looked a lot neater once the wax had dried.
Picture with them fitted to the Tele coming soon
I used some neodymium disk magnets (from Ebay) to magnetise the pickups. A few passes did the job fine. The result is the exact sound i was hoping for – that Tele twang!